Did you sustain injuries in a car accident involving a rideshare service in Stuart, FL? You may be entitled to seek compensation from the at-fault party. An experienced Stuart Uber accident lawyer at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC can help you fight to recover money for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have over 27 years of experience handling complex personal injury and insurance claims.
Since we opened our legal practice in 2014, we’ve recovered more than $30 million in compensation for our injured clients involved in cases like car accidents, motorcycle accidents, Stuart boating accidents, bicycle accidents, and more.
How Kibbey Wagner, PLLC Can Help After an Uber Accident in Stuart
Because of confusing insurance rules, accidents involving Uber and Lyft are notoriously complex. You may end up dealing with multiple insurance companies. Each party will try to blame someone else for the accident.
Our Stuart car accident lawyers at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, are ready to put our experience to work for you. One of our founding attorneys is board certified in civil trial law & a former insurance defense lawyer who knows how the other side thinks. We’ve also been selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
We’ll use that experience to your advantage by:
- Offering sound legal advice and support throughout the personal injury process
- Performing an independent investigation to gather evidence
- Identifying all responsible parties and insurance coverage
- Protecting you if you’re blamed for the accident
- Putting an accurate value on your case, so you don’t risk taking a lowball settlement
- Handling all paperwork and insurance negotiations on your behalf
Your case is too important to trust just any lawyer. To learn more about how our trusted Stuart personal injury attorneys can fight for the maximum compensation you deserve, call for a free consultation today.
How Common Are Uber Accidents in Stuart?
As anyone who’s used Uber or Lyft knows, rideshare drivers use their personal vehicles to transport passengers. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) doesn’t collect data about accidents that involve Uber. Because of that, it can be tough to know exactly how common Uber accidents are.
Still, there are some studies to suggest that rideshare companies have made the streets more dangerous. Those reports show that fatal motor vehicle accidents have increased by between two and four percent since Uber and Lyft were introduced in U.S. cities.
What Is My Stuart Uber Accident Case Worth?
It’s natural to want to understand how much your personal injury case is worth before launching a legal battle. The value of your personal injury case will depend on the nature of your injuries and how those injuries impact your life.
Factors that are relevant in assessing your case value include:
- The type of injuries involved
- The cost of your medical treatment and vehicle repairs
- Whether you’ll require ongoing care or rehab
- Whether you miss work because of the injury
- The emotional and physical toll of the accident and injury
Additional factors can reduce or limit your case value, such as:
- Sharing some blame for the accident
- Failing to mitigate damages
- Whether liability is clearly established
- The amount of insurance coverage available
Uber accident claims involve unique insurance complications. Because Uber drivers are independent contractors, Uber isn’t responsible when they cause accidents. Insurance companies can also deny claims filed under personal insurance policies if the driver was using the vehicle to make a profit.
Because of that, the State of Florida now requires Uber to provide commercial insurance coverage. However, different coverage limits are available depending on the driver’s status at the time of the accident.
Uber Driver Is Available To Accept Ride Requests
When the Uber driver is “on duty” with the Uber app open but has not been matched with a passenger, the following coverage is available:
- $50,000 in bodily injury per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 in property damage per accident
Uber’s coverage is third-party liability coverage. So, it only applies if your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage doesn’t cover all of your losses.
Uber Driver Has Accepted a Passenger Request
During rides or when the driver is en route to pick up a passenger, the following liability coverage is available:
- $1 million in third-party liability coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage up to the cash value of the damaged vehicle (with a $2,500 deductible)
This commercial insurance may also be available if your accident involved an Uber delivery driver.
Uber App Is Closed
If the Uber driver is “off duty” and the app is closed, Uber’s insurance policies are not available. The case is treated like any other auto accident claim. So, you’ll first file a claim with your own insurance coverage. If that coverage is insufficient, you can seek damages from the at-fault party.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Uber Accident Victims?
You’ll also have to provide evidence about the types of damages you suffered because of the accident.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
Some of these damages are more difficult to value than others. It’s important to have an experienced lawyer by your side during insurance negotiations. At Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, we’re dedicated to helping our clients recover the maximum compensation they deserve. Don’t hesitate to call our law firm to learn more about legal representation today.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for an Uber Accident in Florida?
Yes, if someone else was also partly responsible. Under the comparative fault laws in Florida, blame is allocated between all parties to an accident. If you were partly responsible, you can recover damages, but your compensation is reduced by your percentage of fault.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Uber Accident Injuries
Our car accident lawyers at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, can help regardless of the types of injuries you’ve suffered.
We often provide legal representation to injured drivers and passengers who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Chest injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Don’t let the insurance company downplay the impact these injuries can have on your future. Call us today to discuss your case and learn how we can help you fight for fair compensation.
What Causes Most Uber Accidents in Stuart, Florida?
Rideshare apps are easy and convenient to use. Still, Uber and Lyft drivers don’t have any specialized training to keep you safe. They’re just as likely to be involved in an accident as anyone else.
Some of the most common causes of Uber accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Stopping in unsafe locations for passenger pickups and dropoffs
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Illegal lane changes
- Dangerous turns
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Failure to maintain the Uber vehicle
Our Stuart Uber accident attorneys will carefully investigate to determine the cause of your accident.
How Do I Prove Negligence After an Uber Accident in Florida?
Most Uber accident claims are based on negligence. In simple terms, someone is negligent when they fail to use reasonable care. What constitutes “reasonable” can vary depending on the circumstances.
The elements of a negligence claim are:
- The defendant owed the victim a legal duty of care
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach caused an accident
- The victim suffered damages
Proving causation can be tricky. Our lawyers will use many different types of evidence to prove your case, including:
- Police reports
- Data from the Uber app
- Witness statements
- Video surveillance footage
- Photos of the accident scene
- Medical records
Our team at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, may also retain experts who can testify on your behalf and strengthen your case.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After an Uber Accident in Florida?
After an accident, you only have a limited amount of time to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you don’t take legal action within two years of the accident in most cases, you forfeit your right to sue for damages.
Don’t miss your right to claim compensation because of a technicality. Call our lawyers in Stuart to get started building your case today.
Contact a Stuart Uber Accidents Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, has been providing trusted legal advice to accident victims in Stuart for years. If you were injured in an Uber accident, contact a Stuart Uber accident lawyer to learn more about how we’ll fight to protect your rights today. As always, your consultation is free of charge.
Our personal injury law firm in Stuart, FL, also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Stuart
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Stuart
- Brain Accident Lawyer in Stuart, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in Stuart, FL
- Catastrophic Accident Lawyer in Stuart
- Dog Bite Attorney in Stuart
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Stuart, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Stuart, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Stuart, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Stuart
- Product Liability Attorney in Stuart
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Stuart, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Stuart, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Stuart