As technology continues to expand, there are more and more ways that drivers are distracted. When you have driven for a while, you forget how much concentration the task of driving actually takes, so you may indulge in a distraction or two.
However, distracted driving is a leading cause of traffic deaths and injuries in Stuart, Florida. If you or a loved one was hurt by a distracted driver, we encourage you to contact the Stuart distracted driving accident lawyers at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, to learn about your rights. Call us at (772) 444-7000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
How Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, Can Help With Your Distracted Driving Accident Case
When you retain the services of Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, you tap into the considerable knowledge and experience of an award-winning team of lawyers in Stuart, FL.
Our attorneys have received such honors as being named to the “Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of lawyers in the state, on the list of Top 40 Under 40, on Florida’s list of Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and 10/10 ratings through Avvo.
Our highly capable lawyers can help with every aspect of your accident claim, including:
- Gathering evidence to build your case
- Handling communication with the insurance company and other parties
- Reviewing insurance policies for all relevant claim information
- Negotiating a fair settlement of your claim
- Taking your case to court if this is the best way to secure the compensation you deserve
You will instantly find out what makes our firm different when you give us a call. Our Stuart car accident lawyers are standing by to field your communication.
What Is Distracted Driving?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines distracted driving as “any activity that diverts attention from driving.” This includes:
- Talking on your phone
- Talking to passengers in the car
- Adjusting radio controls
- Interacting with a dash system
- Inputting information into a navigation system
- Looking out the window and daydreaming
Distracted driving is dangerous and can lead to the death and injury of other motorists.
How Common Is Distracted Driving?
The NHTSA reports that 3,142 people were killed in accidents caused by distracted driving in 2020. Florida is one of the worst states for distracted driving, with 56,000 distracted driving accidents in 2021, causing the death of 333 people, according to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
Types of Distracted Driving
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) classifies distracted driving into the following three groups:
Visual distractions take the driver’s eyes off the roadway. These include distractions include:
- Looking down at a text message or social media alert
- Looking at passengers in the vehicle
- Caring for children or pets in the back seat
- Looking at the scenery outside the vehicle
These distractions can result in serious accidents in Stuart, Florida.
Manual distractions take a driver’s hands off the steering wheel, such as:
- Sending a text message
- Adjusting the air or radio
- Talking on a handheld device
- Inputting information into a navigation system
This type of distraction is especially dangerous since the person isn’t using the steering wheel of the vehicle.
Cognitive distractions take the driver’s mind off the task of driving, such as:
- Talking on the phone
- Talking to passengers in the vehicle
Because the mind is so critical to the task of driving, cognitive distractions pose a bigger risk than they might seem.
Why Is Texting and Driving So Dangerous?
The NHTSA considers texting the most alarming distraction. Texting involves all three types of distractions. The NHTSA says that you cannot drive safely unless you have your full attention on your driving and that any non-driving activity you partake in increases your risk of an accident.
What Is Florida’s Law on Distracted Driving?
Florida law prohibits anyone from operating a motor vehicle while doing any of the following:
- Manually typing or entering multiple letters, numbers, symbols, or other characters into a wireless communications device
- Sending or reading data on an electronic device for the purpose of nonvoice interpersonal communication
- Texting, emailing, or instant messaging
Drivers who violate the law can be ticketed and may have to pay court costs.
How To Prove That Distracted Driving Caused the Accident
Once you hire our Stuart distracted driving accident lawyers, we will quickly get to work to gather and preserve critical evidence to support your claim, which may consist of:
- The accident report
- Witness statements
- Photos or videos of the accident scene
- Physical damage to the vehicles involved
- Cell phone records
We can also gather evidence to establish the full extent of the damages you sustained in the accident.
Compensation You Could Recover in a Stuart Distracted Driving Case
Distracted driving accidents can lead to serious injuries. Victims may be able to recover compensation for the following losses they incur:
- Property damage
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
An experienced lawyer can help explain the compensation you may be eligible to receive.
Contact Our Stuart Auto Accident Lawyers For Help Today
If you were injured in a distracted driving accident, the Stuart distracted driving accident lawyers at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, are here to help. We encourage you to reach out to schedule a free consultation. We can explain why you should hire a car accident lawyer and how we can assist.