Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart, is a personal injury law firm serving Port St. Lucie, Florida, and the surrounding area. Our Port St. Lucie personal injury lawyers have been helping victims receive the compensation they need and deserve since 2014. Call us today at (772) 247-3374 to see how we can help.
Our personal injury attorneys have more than 80 years of combined experience, and we’ve collected over $200 million for our clients in the past six years alone.
If you’ve recently suffered an injury we have you covered. Our lawyers have experience in personal injury cases involving car accidents, wrongful death, Port St. Lucie brain injuries, and motorcycle accidents, just to name a few.
We believe that getting to know our clients personally and treating them like family is the best way to provide legal representation. Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart, offers a free consultation to discuss your case. Contact us today and let’s get started.
Why Should I Hire Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart to Handle My Personal Injury Case in Port St. Lucie, Florida?
If you’ve been injured by another party’s negligence, you need an attorney on your side who will fight for you and get you the compensation you deserve. Insurance companies won’t be quick to pay you, and will use tactics to minimize their financial liability.
Don’t let them push you around.
The award-winning Port St. Lucie personal injury attorneys at Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart are familiar with strategies that seek to undervalue and deny injury victims’ claims.
We’ve been standing up to insurance companies and other formidable opponents for years and recovering the compensation our clients need to get back on their feet. We have three decades of combined experience and are ready to put our skills to work for you.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Lawyer?
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless they get a favorable settlement or verdict in your case. If they win your case, their fee will be a percentage of your compensation – typically between 33% to 40%.
This arrangement allows injury victims to retain legal representation without worrying about attorney’s fees. This is especially beneficial for people who have medical bills piling up and are out of work due to the injuries they sustained in an accident.
Additionally, most personal injury attorneys offer free initial consultations. Therefore, there’s no risk or obligation to seek help after an accident.
Visit Our Port St. Lucie, FL Personal Injury Law Office
Our law offices are conveniently located at 1100 SW St. Lucie West Blvd. Ste 202 Port St Lucie, FL 34986.
Personal Injury Statistics for Port St. Lucie, Florida
Over 5,474 collisions in 2022, up from 5,550 in 2021. These collisions produced 38 fatalities and 3,113 injuries. Over 85% of fatal accidents were caused by impaired motorists.
In 2022, St. Lucie County also saw 110 bicycle crashes and 129 motorcycle crashes. It had another 111 pedestrian accidents. Over 1,368 of motor vehicle accidents involved hit and runs. By May 2023, 54 bicycle crashes, 72 motorcycle crashes, and 61 pedestrian accidents were reported.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle in Port St. Lucie, Florida
Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart handles all personal injury practice areas across Florida. We routinely recover top settlements and verdicts for our injured clients. Our attorneys specialize in:
Car accidents are one of the most common sources of injury and death for Florida residents. If you were in a collision, your Personal Injury Protection insurance will cover a portion of your medical expenses and lost wages. However, this insurance may not be enough if you sustained a serious injury.
Our Port St. Lucie car accident attorneys can help you identify all your legal options, including claims and lawsuits against the at-fault driver. That way you get the money you need to move forward after your crash.
Commercial trucks can present extreme danger to others on the road. They are larger and heavier than passenger vehicles and almost always deliver the brunt of the damage in a truck accident. If you were in a truck wreck, the driver or trucking company may owe you compensation.
Our Port St. Lucie truck accident attorneys can go up against the big trucking company and their insurers to get the compensation you need for your medical bills, lost income, and other damages.
Florida is an excellent location to ride a motorcycle. However, its congested roads and heavy tourism can pose risks to riders. Unfortunately, motorcyclists usually suffer severe injuries after a collision with a car — even when they are wearing helmets.
Our Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident lawyers can help you hold a negligent driver responsible for hitting your bike. We will fight to maximize the value of your claim so you get the treatment you need.
Cars often fail to share the road with bicyclists and may not even see riders on the side of the street. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents can cause serious and catastrophic injuries to bicyclists. This makes it all the more important to receive compensation after a car hits you.
Our Port St. Lucie bicycle accident lawyers can help you recover compensation from the careless driver and his insurance company after your crash.
Brain injuries are among the worst injuries someone can suffer. They usually have life-long consequences and can be extremely costly to treat. Unfortunately, brain injuries can happen in almost any type of accident, from car accidents to slip and falls.
Our Port St. Lucie brain injury attorneys can help you explore your options after a head injury. We’ll fight to help you get the money you need to regain your life.
Most accidents are minor. However, some cause catastrophic injuries which affect victims’ lives in many ways. Catastrophic injuries are expensive to treat and often reduce the quality of a victim’s life. You can seek compensation if someone injured you through negligence.
Our catastrophic injury attorneys in Port St. Lucie, FL can help. We will evaluate your case and calculate your damages, so you don’t miss out on any compensation after your catastrophic injury.
Florida has a high rate of pedestrian accidents — despite efforts to reduce such accidents. It is inexcusable when a car hits a person. These accidents typically result in head injuries, broken bones, and other serious harm.
Our Port St. Lucie pedestrian accident lawyers can help if a car hits you while you are walking or crossing the street. We’ll do everything in our power to maximize the value of your claim.
Tragically, some accidents are fatal and rob us of loved ones. Florida law gives surviving family members the right to submit a wrongful death claim when a negligent party causes their loved one’s death. These claims may be the only way to recover compensation for funeral expenses and loss of support.
Our wrongful death attorneys can help you achieve justice. We can work to make sure you get the money you need to keep moving forward.
Other Common Injury Cases in Port St. Lucie
- Product liability
- Dog bites
- Premises liability
- Medical malpractice
- Boating accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Uber and Lyft crashes
- And more
What Damages Are Available to Port St. Lucie Accident Victims?
There are three categories of damages available to personal injury victims: economic, non-economic, and punitive damages.
Economic damages compensate you for things like:
- Medical bills
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
- Physical, mental, and emotional pain
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Punitive damages are rarely awarded. They are intended to “punish” the defendant and deter others from engaging in similar conduct.
Call a personal injury lawyer with Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart, today, and we can go over what type of compensation might be available in your case.
How Much Is My Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Case Worth?
Personal injury cases vary widely in terms of their value. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Injury severity
- Quantity of financial losses
- Type of injury suffered
- Amount of evidence available
- Whether you share any of the blame for your injury
We can give you a clearer picture of how much your case might be worth. Contact us to get started.
When Can I Pursue a Claim for Compensation?
You can pursue a claim for compensation after getting injured or losing someone because of someone else’s negligence.
Many different parties could be liable for your accident, depending on the facts of your case. Any party who contributed to your injury may be responsible for your damages.
The following parties are the most frequent defendants in personal injury cases:
- Motorists who cause a collision through carelessness or traffic violations
- Property owners who failed to fix a hazard on their premises
- Truck drivers or trucking companies after a truck wreck
- Product manufacturers who made a defective product
- Medical providers who committed malpractice
- Employers who allowed unsafe conditions for employees
- And more
These are just a sampling of possible defendants in your case. A personal injury lawyer can help you find out all at-fault parties in your accident so you can hold each of them accountable for your losses.
What is the Personal Injury Claims Process in Port St. Lucie?
The personal injury claims process begins when you and your Port St Lucie personal injury lawyer file an injury claim with the insurer. You can expect the process to follow these general steps:
- You will file your claim with the insurance company. You will gather all necessary and relevant documentation to submit. In some instances, you may submit the claim with your own insurer, such as in the event of a car collision. Most of the time, you will be filing it against the insurer for the party who caused your accident.
- The Insurer will investigate your claim. The insurance company will assign an adjuster to investigate your claim. They will solicit documentation from you to process it, including medical records and lost income related to the accident. They will examine accident reports and other evidence related to your injury to determine if they are at fault for your accident.
Next, one of two things will typically happen.
- The insurer may offer you a settlement agreement. If the insurance company believes it’s liable for your accident, it will offer you a settlement agreement to compensate for your damages. The settlement agreement will likely be lower than the actual value of your damages. If so, you and your attorney may negotiate with the insurer for a higher settlement value.
- The insurer may deny your claim. If the insurance company believes it is not liable for your accident, it will deny your claim. It may also accept responsibility but try to blame you for the accident to limit its liability.
In either of these instances, you will likely need to file a lawsuit to force the insurer to pay your damages. Your personal injury lawyer will walk you through every step of the claims process and explain when the need to file may arise.
Do I Need a Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer is your best resource after an accident. They’ll guide you through the process and protect your legal rights to ensure that you recover the compensation you deserve.
Here are some other benefits of hiring an attorney:
- They’ll handle your case from start to finish, including negotiating with opposing parties and managing documentation, communications, and filings.
- They’ll help you investigate your accident and gather evidence to support your claim.
- They have access to leading experts in the field, such as medical professionals, financial experts, and accident reconstructionists.
- They’ll accurately value your claim to ensure that you receive all the compensation you’re entitled to, including future damages.
- If necessary, they’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf and appear in court to advocate for your best interests.
Notably, an attorney will stand up to formidable opponents who will try to take advantage of you.
What is Negligence in a Personal Injury Case?
Negligence is the basis of most personal injury claims. It’s the failure to act with reasonable care, resulting in harm to another party. It can result from an act or omission.
The plaintiff must prove four elements to establish negligence:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care;
- The defendant breached their duty of care;
- The breach of duty directly caused the plaintiff’s injuries; and
- The plaintiff suffered damages as a result.
A duty of care arises from the law or the relationship between parties. For example, all drivers have a duty to others sharing the roads to drive carefully and follow traffic laws.
If someone fails to act reasonably under the circumstances, they’ve breached their duty of care. If their breach directly causes harm to another person and results in financial and/or personal losses, the injured party likely has a valid negligence claim.
How Do I Prove Negligence?
The plaintiff must prove the four elements of a negligence claim by a preponderance of the evidence to obtain compensation in a personal injury case. That means the plaintiff must demonstrate that their claim is more likely than not true.
The court will use a “reasonable person” standard to assess whether the defendant’s acts or omissions were reasonable under the circumstances.
In other words, they’ll examine the defendant’s behavior to determine if it fell short of what a reasonable person would’ve done in the same situation.
To prove the elements of your case and demonstrate that the defendant’s conduct was unreasonable under the circumstances, you’ll need evidence, such as:
- Medical records
- Accident reports
- Photographs and videos of the accident scene and your injuries
- Dashcam and surveillance footage
- Expert witness testimony
- Eyewitness testimony
- Cell phone records
- Employment records
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need to prove your claim.
Florida’s Personal Injury Laws Brief Overview
Florida’s personal injury laws can affect your claim in many ways, from the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit to the amount of compensation you can recover.
Here are some important Florida statutes to consider:
- Statute of limitations: Florida gives plaintiffs four years to file a lawsuit. That means you’ll have this period of time from the date of your accident to take legal action. Other types of cases, such as wrongful death, must be filed within two years. If you miss the deadline for your case, you’ll be barred from recovering compensation.
- Comparative fault: Florida follows modified comparative fault rules, meaning you can recover compensation even if you were partially (but not mostly) responsible for the accident. Your financial award will be reduced proportionally to your percentage of the blame.
- No-fault auto insurance rules: Florida is a no-fault auto insurance state. All drivers must purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. After an accident, you must submit a claim with your own PIP insurer, regardless of who caused the accident. You might be entitled to submit a claim or lawsuit against the at-fault driver if you sustained a serious injury.
Personal injury laws can be complex. Call us to see how these rules apply to your situation.
What Should I Do After an Accident in Port St. Lucie?
There are a few steps you should take after an accident to protect your right to compensation. Following each step can increase your odds of a successful injury claim.
- Call 911. You should call 911 to report your accident, especially if you were in a car crash that involved injury, death, or significant property damage. The police will respond to the scene and record their observations about the accident. They will then create a police report noting their observations and preliminary determinations of liability. This can serve as evidence.
- Exchange information. You should exchange contact and insurance information with the other party involved in your accident. You may need their insurance information to submit a claim for your medical bills and other damages. You should also exchange information with witnesses who can corroborate your account of the accident.
- Document the Scene. You should take photographs and video recordings of the accident scene — if the scene is safe. These photos can contribute as powerful evidence to support your claim.
- Seek prompt medical treatment. You should look for immediate medical attention after your accident. Seeking quick medical care will help you get treatment for your injuries and put you on the path to a quicker recovery. It will also help diagnose injuries that may not have symptoms yet and will provide you with records of your medical expenses.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer. An injury attorney can help you determine your course of action for recovering compensation. They will handle all aspects of your claim, including investigations, filings, and court appearances.
Call Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart to discuss your case with a Port St Lucie personal injury attorney.
We can help you take the right course of action after your accident and work to protect the value of your claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Port St. Lucie, Florida?
The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in Florida is two years. However, there are nuances to this statute depending on the nature of the claim you are filing and also the type of party you are looking to sue.
If you miss the statute of limitations for your case, the legal system can no longer compensate you for your injury.
We can let you know whether the deadline has passed in your case during your free consultation. Reach out to us for help.
Contact Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers in Port St. Lucie For Legal Help
If you or a loved one were recently injured in Port St. Lucie, consider Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart. Our personal injury lawyers look forward to meeting and working with you.
Our results speak for themselves with decades of experience and millions of dollars recovered. Hiring Kibbey Wagner Injury & Car Accident Lawyers Stuart, will give you the peace of mind you need to pursue an injury claim.
Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Client Review
Read more of our Google reviews here.
- Port St Lucie City Clerk – 121 SW Port St Lucie Boulevard, Port St. Lucie, FL 34984, United States
- Court Administrator – 250 NW Country Club Dr, Port St. Lucie, FL 34986, United States
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.