Did you recently suffer a brain injury in an avoidable accident in Port St. Lucie, FL? You may have the right to recover compensation for your medical care, loss of wages, and suffering. Call the experienced Port St. Lucie brain injury lawyers at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC at (772) 247-3374. We are ready to help you pursue maximum compensation from at-fault parties.
Since 2014, our award-winning litigators have been dedicated to providing top-level legal representation to injury victims and families across Southern Florida.
Collectively, we have 40+ years of experience and have won over $60 million on behalf of accident victims involving slip and fall accidents, Port St. Lucie wrongful death claims, catastrophic injuries, Port St. Lucie pedestrian accidents, and more.
Contact our law office, conveniently located in Port St. Lucie, Florida, to discuss your case and find out how we can help you get the money you deserve. Your first consultation is 100 percent free, so call today.
How Kibbey Wagner, PLLC Can Help If You’ve Suffered a Brain Injury in Port St. Lucie, FL
Dealing with the aftermath of a catastrophic injury to the brain is tough enough without the added stress of a personal injury case. Fortunately, you do not have to take on an insurance company or negligent party on your own. That’s where Kibbey Wagner, PLLC comes in.
Our Port St. Lucie personal injury attorneys are here to handle your brain injury case so that you can focus on your physical recovery.
Here’s what you can expect:
- A thorough investigation into the accident or incident that led to your traumatic brain injury
- Careful analysis of evidence related to your case, including medical records, accident reports, photographs, witness statements, specialist testimony, and more
- Consultations with respected medical professionals and other experts who can provide critical insight into your personal injury claim
- Protection against “blame the victim” strategies that could hurt your financial recovery
- Tough negotiations with insurance companies and at-fault parties to get you the money you deserve
If negotiations don’t get the results you deserve, our respected trial attorneys will be ready to reject lowball offers and bring your case to a jury in St. Lucie County.
Give us a call or connect with us online to arrange a time for a free, no-obligation case evaluation today.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
It’s estimated that more than 2.87 million people suffer a traumatic brain injury every year. The term “traumatic brain injury” (TBI) broadly refers to a sudden injury to the brain that disrupts its normal function.
According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, a TBI occurs when you notice one or more of these things:
- Loss of consciousness;
- Memory loss (amnesia);
- Muscle weakness, vision loss, speech changes, and other focal neurological deficits; or
- Disorientation, difficulty concentrating, or other alterations in your mental state.
Depending on how long you lose consciousness, the number of symptoms you experience, and their severity, your brain injury may be classified as “mild,” “moderate,” or “severe.”
There are typically two ways to suffer a traumatic brain injury: via open head injuries or closed head injuries. The major difference between the two involves whether or not the skull is broken or compromised in some way.
Open, or penetrating head injuries, occur when the skull is fractured, penetrated, or otherwise damaged. The brain becomes exposed to debris, shrapnel, and external elements that can cause serious damage. This might happen as the result of a serious blow to the head or a gunshot wound.
Closed head injuries occur when the head is subjected to a sudden force – like a bump, blow, or jolt. The impact causes the brain to move around rapidly inside the head, displacing fluid that typically prevents it from making contact with the hard bone of the skull. Impact with the skull can cause bleeding, bruising, tearing, ripping, and several other serious injuries.
We Handle All Types of Brain Injury Cases in Port St. Lucie, FL
There are many different types of brain injuries, including:
- Diffuse axonal injury
- Hypoxic/anoxic brain injury
- Coup-contrecoup brain injury
At Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, we’ll be here to help you seek financial justice for any type and level of brain injury you suffer in a Port St. Lucie accident.
What Causes Most Brain Injuries?
A traumatic brain injury is often the result of a sudden blow to the head.
This can happen as a result of:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falls from heights
- Workplace accidents
- Construction accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Medical malpractice
Always seek medical treatment as soon as you can after you’re involved in an accident in Port St. Lucie, Florida. The signs and symptoms of a brain injury may not be apparent right away.
Getting to the doctor is a great way to ensure that your injuries are fully diagnosed and treated early on. This will limit the risk of complications and document your injury for a future claim for damages.
What is My Port St. Lucie Brain Injury Case Worth?
It’s important to know that there’s no average settlement for a brain injury case. Every case is so incredibly different. Every victim is unique, and their injury will affect them in different ways.
However, there are some factors that will be relevant in determining the value of all brain injury claims.
- What type of brain injury have you suffered?
- How is your traumatic brain injury classified – mild, moderate, or severe?
- Are you able to continue working?
- How will your earning capacity be affected?
- How old are you?
- How has your brain injury (and the accident that caused it) affected you emotionally?
- Do you share responsibility for the accident that led to your TBI?
What will have the greatest impact? The extent of your injury and how your life will have to change. The more your life changes and the more pain you’re in, the more compensation you’ll likely recover.
The best way to know how much money you might be able to get in your brain injury case is by speaking with an experienced Port St. Lucie brain injury attorney. Contact Kibbey Wagner, PLLC to set up a time for your free case assessment today.
What Damages Can I Recover If I Suffer a Brain Injury in a Port St. Lucie Accident?
A brain injury can inflict serious financial damage and fundamentally alter your life. Fortunately, you can seek compensatory damages to compensate for these things.
Compensatory damages fall into one of two categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages make up for the monetary losses associated with your brain injury, like:
- Present medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Nursing assistance
- Reduced quality of life
- Chronic pain
- Loss of consortium
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Mental anguish
Punitive damages – those intended to punish the defendant – might be applicable if there’s clear evidence that the defendant acted intentionally or with gross negligence.
How Long After Suffering a Brain Injury Will I Have to File a Lawsuit in Florida?
Florida law provides that there’s a two-year time limit for most personal injury lawsuits. So, you’ll generally have two years from the date of the accident that caused your brain injury to file a claim.
You will also have just two years to file a wrongful death action if a family member dies because of an avoidable brain injury.
Although there may be exceptions, don’t miss the deadline that’s set by the statute of limitations. If that happens, you’ll give up the right to demand accountability and recover the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Port St. Lucie Brain Injury Lawyer
Have you or a family member recently suffered a traumatic brain injury in an accident in Port St. Lucie, Florida? If so, don’t hesitate to contact Kibbey Wagner, PLLC. You may have the right to file a claim against a negligent party or their insurance company. Our Port St. Lucie brain injury lawyers are here to help you fight to win your case and maximize your financial recovery.
We’re award-winning litigators with a reputation for getting top results for our catastrophically injured clients. You can get us to fight for you – all you have to do is call our law office in Port St. Lucie and speak with a member of our compassionate legal team. Your first consultation is free, so call now.
Our personal injury law firm in Port St. Lucie, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Attorney in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Port St. Lucie, FL