Jackknife accidents are often destructive collisions involving multiple vehicles and severe injuries. If you were involved in one of these dangerous truck accidents in Stuart, FL, Kibbey Wagner, PLLC can help.
Our Stuart truck accident lawyers have over 40 years of combined experience handling complex personal injury cases. Since we opened in 2014, we’ve acquired more than $60 million for injured victims throughout Stuart and Martin County.
We want to help you hold the negligent trucker, trucking company, or other at-fault parties financially accountable for your injuries. Contact our law office at (772) 444-7000 or online to schedule a free consultation with our Stuart jackknife accident lawyers.
How Our Stuart Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help After a Jackknife Collision
Any type of truck accident claim can be complicated, but jackknife accident cases involving passenger vehicles are often particularly complex. Not only can there be multiple defendants involved, but there may also be multiple claimants.
You’ll want an experienced legal advocate to help you navigate the various federal and state trucking regulations and file claims on your behalf. The Stuart truck accident attorneys at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC can help.
If you retain our legal services after a jackknife accident in Stuart, Florida, we’ll:
- Evaluate every aspect of the jackknife accident to determine how it happened and who shares financial responsibility
- Gather evidence and calculate the full extent of your losses
- Consult experts, such as accident reconstructionists and trucking industry experts, as we build your case and deal with complex issues
- Negotiate with insurance companies, trucking corporations, and others and protect your rights
- Represent you at trial if we fail to obtain a fair out-of-court settlement
If you want to learn more about forming an attorney-client relationship with the experienced attorneys at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC, call our law firm for a free initial consultation.
What Is a Jackknife Accident?
A jackknife accident occurs when a semi-truck’s cab and trailer stop moving in the same direction. When the trailer swings out to the side, it creates a “V” shape, resembling the folding of a jackknife.
These types of accidents usually occur if a truck driver suddenly applies the brakes or loses control of the vehicle. When a large truck brakes abruptly, the front wheels may lock while the trailer continues to move, causing the trailer to fold into the cab.
Jackknife crashes often involve multiple vehicles, such as the following scenarios:
- When the trailer swings to the side, it may sweep cars in adjacent lanes as it slides down the highway.
- The truck may rear-end the vehicle in front, causing a multi-vehicle accident.
- The vehicle following the truck may rear-end the truck, causing a chain reaction.
- The truck or vehicles it impacts could roll over, colliding with other vehicles.
Multi-vehicle crashes are often complex personal injury claims. If you were involved in one, contact our Stuart jackknife accident attorneys for assistance.
What Can Cause a Jackknife Accident in Stuart, FL?
Unfortunately, driver error is the cause of most jackknife accidents. Even though truckers must carry a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and take knowledge and skills tests, they aren’t always paying close attention. They often drive long hours and travel on unfamiliar highways.
Some common causes of jackknife collisions include:
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Improper lane changes
- Sudden turns
- Distracted driving, such as looking at a GPS or eating
- Following too closely or tailgating
- Uneven cargo loads or an empty trailer
- Unsecured loads
- Slick or slippery road surfaces
- Fatigued driving
- Impaired driving
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Negligent truck maintenance or inspection
Jackknife accidents aren’t always the truck driver’s fault. For example, faulty or defective brakes, tires, or other truck components may cause an issue that even the most experienced truckers can’t avoid. Also, unexpected inclement weather may create sudden hazardous conditions.
Who Could Be Liable for a Jackknife Accident in Stuart, Florida?
The liable party in a jackknife accident will depend on the circumstances, including the truck driver’s status and how the crash happened.
For example, trucking companies can be vicariously liable for the actions of their employees carried out in the course of their employment. However, if the trucker is an independent contractor, this legal concept doesn’t apply.
The following parties could share liability for a jackknife accident in Stuart, FL:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The shipping company
- A cargo-loading company
- A truck leasing company
- A government agency
- The manufacturer of a defective truck part or component
- Other negligent motorists, pedestrians, or bicyclists
What Compensation Is Available After a Jackknife Accident in Stuart, FL?
Jackknife accidents often cause severe injuries requiring extensive medical treatment and other expenses. You’re entitled to these and other damages if you file a personal injury claim.
- Past and future medical expenses, such as hospitalization, ongoing care, rehabilitation, physical therapy, and more
- Lost wages and job benefits
- Diminished earning potential
- Out-of-pocket costs, such as travel expenses and childcare
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional trauma
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Reduced enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Permanent disability or impairment
We’ll help you identify every loss you sustained due to the truck accident in Stuart. Then, we’ll work to put a dollar value on them and fight for every dollar you deserve.
Contact Our Stuart Jackknife Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation
Were you hurt in a jackknife accident in Stuart, Florida? If so, you need to take action quickly to gather the necessary evidence and meet the applicable Florida statute of limitations. Contact a Stuart truck accident lawyer at Kibbey Wagner, PLLC for immediate assistance.
As soon as you retain our services, we’ll start building your case. We want to secure the most favorable outcome possible for you, so the sooner we get started, the better your chances will be. Call today for a free, no-obligation case assessment to learn how we can help you after a jackknife accident.