Port St. Lucie sees a lot of traffic accidents. In fact, it has about 38% more traffic accidents than it should for its share of Florida’s population. A recent population boom in Port St. Lucie and a recovery in tourism across the state have led to massive traffic congestion in the city.
Speeding, poor road design, traffic congestion, and rainy weather combine to make some highways, roads, and intersections more dangerous than others.
How Kibbey Wagner, PLLC Can Help After an Accident in Port St. Lucie
Kibbey Wagner, PLLC was founded in 2014. Since its founding, the firm’s Port St. Lucie personal injury attorneys have recovered more than $60 million in compensation for injured clients.
Our lawyers have over 40 years of combined experience. During their distinguished careers, they’ve been recognized for their legal knowledge, experience, and ethics with honors such as:
- Board certified in civil trial law by the Florida Board of Legal Specialization
- Listed as Florida Super Lawyers by SuperLawyers.com
- Named to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers
How Common Are Accidents on the Most Dangerous Roads/Intersections in Port St. Lucie?
According to the Florida Traffic Safety Dashboard, Port St. Lucie had over 5,500 traffic accidents in 2021. The city has about 1.0% of Florida’s population but nearly 1.4% of its total traffic accidents.
This might not seem like much, but it means the city has roughly 1,500 more accidents every year than it should have based on its share of the population.
In Port St. Lucie:
- 48% of traffic accidents happen at intersections:
- 33% happen on roads and highways away from intersections
- 19% happen elsewhere, such as parking lots or off-road areas
Overall, 81% of Port St. Lucie’s accidents (about 4,483 crashes) happen on roads and at intersections.
Overview of the Most Dangerous Roads/Intersections in Port St. Lucie
Traffic accidents happen all across Port St. Lucie. But over time, traffic safety data shows clusters in certain areas.
These clusters can result from:
- Speed limits that are too high
- Traffic congestion
- Poor road design
- Improperly timed traffic signals
- Road crossings that expose pedestrians and cyclists to road dangers
These clusters of accidents can help road designers identify and reduce dangers posed by driver behaviors. For example, drivers are likely to try to beat traffic lights if a road has a fast speed limit.
Dangerous Intersections in Port St. Lucie
Intersection accidents happen for a few specific reasons, such as:
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to other cars or pedestrians
- Improper left turn across an oncoming vehicle’s path
- Improper left or right turn into a pedestrian in the crosswalk
- Improper right turn into the path of an oncoming vehicle
Liability for these accidents falls on the driver who proceeded into or through the intersection without ensuring it was clear.
Intersection accidents cause more fatal injuries than road accidents. Drivers tend to cause angle or side-impact accidents at intersections, forcing vehicle occupants in a direction where their seat belts and airbags can’t protect them. As a result, victims of these accidents can suffer severe neck, back, and head injuries.
Most pedestrian accidents happen at intersections. When pedestrians are hit by cars, they suffer injuries both in the primary impact of the car and in the secondary impact of hitting the road and sliding across its surface.
On the Traffic Safety Dashboard, some locations where these intersection accidents tend to cluster include:
- US-1 and FL-716/Port St. Lucie Blvd.
- US-1 and Walton Rd.
- Bayshore Blvd. and St. Lucie West Blvd.
- Gatlin Blvd. and Rosser Blvd.
According to the Traffic Safety Dashboard, these intersections are some of the busiest in Port St. Lucie, particularly between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. when accidents peak.
Dangerous Roads and Highways in Port St. Lucie
Roadway accidents usually happen due to:
- Distracted driving
- Following too closely
Liability for these accidents usually falls on drivers who carelessly come too close to other vehicles.
The most common type of roadway collision is a rear-end collision. Rear-end crashes can cause whiplash injuries to the neck and back. They can also cause concussions as the collision jostles the brain.
Based on data from the traffic safety dashboard, the most dangerous roads in Port St. Lucie include:
- I-95, particularly at St. Lucie West Blvd. and south of Crosstown Pkwy.
- FL-716/Port St. Lucie Blvd.
- Florida’s Turnpike south of Port St. Lucie Blvd.
- St. Lucie West Blvd. between I-95 and Bayshore Blvd.
Traffic congestion increases the risk of a roadway accident, and these roads and highways see some of the heaviest traffic in the city.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Port St. Lucie Dangerous Roads/Intersections Lawyers
A car accident can happen on any road in Southern Florida, especially the most dangerous roads/intersections in Port St. Lucie. Contact Kibbey Wagner, PLLC for a free consultation to discuss the compensation you can seek for your injuries and resulting financial burdens. Our Port St. Lucie personal injury lawyers are standing by to help.